November 3rd, 2009 by Kidsmomo
A grandmother who investigates fairy tale mysteries, a grandfather who can move mountains, and parents who are intent on selling their house to the first buyer — with their kids still in it… These are just some of the wacky families you’ll meet in this week’s recommended reads (in no particular order).
And you thought your family was crazy!
- Surviving the Applewhites by Stephanie S. Tolan (Karen’s pick)
- Cheaper by the Dozen by Frank Gilbreth, Jr. and Ernestine Gilbreth Carey (Nancy’s pick)
- The Sisters Grimm series by Michael Buckley
- The Charlie Bone books by Jenny Nimmo
- The Anybodies by N.E. Bode
- Savvy by Ingrid Law
- Love, Ruby Lavender by Deborah Wiles
- The Lemonade War by Jacqueline Davies
- The Willoughbys by Lois Lowry and Arte Johnson
- Ruby Holler by Sharon Creech
- Ida Early Comes over the Mountain by Robert Burch
- All-of-a-Kind Family by by Sydney Taylor
- The Pepins and Their Problems by Polly Horvath
- The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall
- How Tia Lola Came to (Visit) Stay by Julia Alvarez
If you’ve read any of these, send in your book review and we may read it our podcast. Or send in a review of your favorite book starring a wacky family!
UPDATE 11/10/09: We revealed the answer to our Wacky Family Mystery Book Theater in the “All in the Family” Podcast, so take a listen if you want to know the answer. Or just tune in if you want to hear stories about Karen and Nancy’s wacky families. Warning: children are both frightened and abandoned in these stories. Yes, our relatives are a little cah-razy…