October 26th, 2010 by Kidsmomo
Sure, Halloween means candy and apple-bobbing and funny animated specials on TV. But we all know that the really delicious part of Halloween is the scary stuff — and we’ve got plenty of bone-chilling stories to get you in the spirit!
Last year, we got ready for Halloween with this booklist of frightening reads. This year, we’ve got even more spooky stories to terrify your toes off and make you sleep with the lights on for weeks! Including dolls that come to life to give a warning, a clock that counts down to the end of the world, and an unsolved murder that leads to an amusement park — here they are (in no particular order):
- The Boneshaker by Kate Milford (Karen’s pick)
- Dying to Meet You (43 Old Cemetery Road) by Kate Klise (Nancy’s pick)
- The House with a Clock in Its Walls by John Bellairs
- School of Fear series by Gitty Daneshvari
- Haunted Houses (Are You Scared Yet?) by Robert D. San Souci
- Suddenly Supernatural series by Elizabeth Cody Kimmel
- The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury
- Closed for the Season by Mary Downing Hahn
- The Books of Elsewhere Book 1:The Shadows by Jacqueline West
- The Dollhouse Murders by Betty Ren Wright
(And here’s a printable version of our More Spooky Stuff booklist, for you to take to the library or bookstore — or to bury deep underground so you can never be frightened by these stories.)
If you’ve read any of these, send in your book review. Or send in a review of your favorite spooky book.
UPDATE 11/9/10: We revealed the answer to our Spooky Mystery Book Theater in our “The Horror, The Horror” Podcast, so take a listen if you want to know the answer. Or just tune in if you want to hear Karen whimper over a scary story.