June 13th, 2010 by Kidsmomo
Yes, we know that’s a horrible pun we put in the title of this post. But give us a break — Karen was bitten by a cat as a kid and Nancy’s allergic, so we’re not exactly cat lovers. And yet, we’re dedicating our new theme to books about cats. Why put ourselves through it? Why, it’s all for you feline people out there. The dog lovers got their theme, and now it’s your turn! So don’t say we never did anything for you.
And after all, just because we don’t like spending time with cats, that doesn’t mean we dislike reading about them — and torturing you with awful puns about them. So, here are some meow-velous kitty picks (in no particular order):
- The Broccoli Tapes by Jan Slepian (Karen’s pick)
- Socks by Beverly Cleary (Nancy’s pick)
- Pinky Pye by Eleanor Estes
- Warriors series by Erin Hunter
- Whittington by Alan W. Armstrong
- Highway Cats by Janet Taylor Lisle
- The Cat Who Went to Heaven by Elizabeth Coatsworth
- Sam the Cat series by Linda Stewart
- Cat Pack series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
- The Cats of Roxville Station by Jean Craighead George
- It’s Like This, Cat by Emily Neville
- One-Eyed Cat by Paula Fox
If you’ve read any of these, send in your book review. Or send in a review of your favorite cat book.
UPDATE 6/29/10: We revealed the answer to our Cat Book Mystery Book Theater in the “Cat’s Meow” Podcast, so take a listen if you want to know the answer. Or just tune in if you want to hear Nancy rejoice in Karen’s discomfort with cats. Warning: she gets mean about it!