Movie News: Underland Chronicles

April 1st, 2014 by

Gregor the OverlanderWith all the hype around the Hunger Games movies, it was surely just a matter of time before Hollywood would make a film of Suzanne Collins’ other book series, The Underland Chronicles (aka the Gregor books).

Well, the big announcement has finally come: no word on the release date yet, but an adaptation of the first book in the series, Gregor the Overlander, will definitely be hitting theaters at some point in the future!

But they’d better hurry up and shoot the movie fast because Josh Hutcherson and Jennifer Lawrence have been cast as the leads, Gregor and Luxa!

It certainly seems like a strange choice because the characters are 11 years old, whereas the actors are both in their 20s. But the movie studio that’s doing the adaptation addressed their casting decision in this way:

“Whenever you cast iconic book characters, there will be some backlash from the fans. It seemed a natural fit to ask Josh and Jennifer to take on the roles of Gregor and Luxa because they’re already a known quantity to Suzanne Collins’ readers. Not only that, they’re two of Hollywood’s brightest young stars who have already proven their acting chops and their appeal in the Hunger Games movies.”

Makes sense, we suppose… And we can only imagine that same logic applied to the rest of the casting, plus a few surprises:

• Woody Harrelson as Ripred
  • Elizabeth Banks as Solovet
  • Donald Sutherland as Vikus
  • Willow Shields as Lizzie
  • Sam Claflin as Henry
  • Liam Hemsworth as Boots

It is quite puzzling that Liam Hemsworth was cast as Gregor’s 2-year-old sister, Boots… but we’re so excited about the film we’re willing to just go with it.

In addition, how the Underland’s fantastical creatures will be represented will be a fresh new take, a source close to the Art Director stated:

“Well, elaborate state-of-the-art computer generated creatures has already been done in movies like The Hobbit, and while hand puppets were considered, I know for a fact that they started rehearsals on interpretive dance. So, none of the fliers will actually fly, but you’ll really see them fly through the magic of imagination!”

What about you? Do you agree with the casting? Leave a comment and let us know who you would cast if you had the choice. Also, leave a comment and tell us whether you believed a single word that we said because guess what —

April Fools!

(In other words, this is all fake! Did we getcha?)

😀

— Karen and Nancy

P.S. — We do really want to see movies of this series some day. So if you’re like us, well, sorry if we got your hopes up!

74 Responses

• i love these books! writes:
    May 21st, 2014 at 4:35 pm

I love the books, and I cant wait to see the movie!

• Karen from Kidsmomo writes:
      May 21st, 2014 at 11:47 pm

We love these books too! Unfortunately, there’s not really a movie in the works (as far as we know!). That was just a dream we turned into an April Fool’s story. *sheepish smile* But we promise, we’ll let you know if we hear about an actual honest-to-goodness movie in the future!

• Jake writes:
        January 18th, 2016 at 5:09 pm

I plan on becoming a director in a couple years after studying at scad, this article scared me so much because I thought someone beat me to directing the series!

• Jason writes:
        May 11th, 2018 at 11:39 pm

I absolutely love this book series. Before I read that ypu were joking, I was really sad because it has been my dream for several years to be Gregor. I really want to bevan actor someday….

• Adam writes:
      April 19th, 2016 at 6:13 pm

i agree

• Cameron writes:
    December 10th, 2014 at 9:44 pm

God, should’ve not believed you from the start when you said j-law and josh hutcherson, but when I red the rest of the casting I knew it was all a joke and that all of these people are in the hunger games. woody harrelson would actually be really good as ripred, though.

• harley writes:
      July 11th, 2015 at 7:17 pm

I love this book its to die for but I didn’t know there was a movie

• Karen from Kidsmomo writes:
        July 14th, 2015 at 9:48 pm

Sorry, there’s not really a movie (as far as we know). We just made that up as an April Fool’s story! But if we do ever hear of a real movie based on this series, we will absolutely positively post about it on Kidsmomo!

• adam writes:
    January 10th, 2015 at 12:59 am

Liam Neeson as Ripred only voice we hear in our mind as we read this book series. Make it a movie – It would be a fantastic movie

• Stephanie writes:
    March 17th, 2015 at 4:32 pm

I love these books!!! Movie, movie, movie!!! Or come out with another book.

• Madison writes:
      May 18th, 2018 at 9:44 pm

Same

• Veronica writes:
    April 9th, 2015 at 6:53 pm

I hope that is a joke because I don’t like the idea of using the same cast from The Hunger Games for the Overlander series. I love the books way too much for someone to do that to me. Don’t get me wrong I love them in Hunger Games but using them together in another series is just too much. New faces are needed for the Overlander movies in my non professional opinion. (straight up fan talk)

• Karen from Kidsmomo writes:
      April 12th, 2015 at 11:21 pm

Yup, it *is* a joke — our April Fool’s post from last year! But oh how we wish there really were going to be a Gregor movie! And if there were, we agree with you that we’d definitely want a new cast.

• ******** writes:
    May 6th, 2015 at 10:07 pm

Yes I live this series and will want a movie to come out ASAP

• ******** writes:
    May 6th, 2015 at 10:08 pm

I LOVE THIS SERIES AND WANT A MIVIE FOR IT ASAP

• Mary Beth writes:
    July 25th, 2015 at 4:48 pm

We need a movie for these books! I have dreamt about this series as a movie since fourth grade! De is an amazing author an I would love to see the underland!

• Becky writes:
    August 3rd, 2015 at 11:56 am

I think its gonna be HORRIBLE i LOVED the books And so did my sister but this just sounds crazy I can only hope it turns out good. I also think that its dumb to use jenifer and josh cuz the characters are 11 , LIKE SERIOUSLY PEOPLE U CANT USE KIDS AS THE KIDS. The characters aren’t supposed to be older they even say things sometimes in the book like o u can’t cuz ur too young, but no the cast ISNT young (11-12 yr old) maybe they will make changes and I hope they do

• Karen from Kidsmomo writes:
      August 9th, 2015 at 1:23 pm

Hi, Becky. We totally agree with you. It would be HORRIBLE if they made a movie like this! Fortunately for all of us fans, this is not a real plan by any Hollywood studio. This was actually our April Fool’s post from last year! But if we do hear about a real Underland Chronicles movie in the future, we’ll definitely report it here on Kidsmomo!

• alex writes:
    September 17th, 2015 at 1:56 am

You suck so much Karen you got me so excited, but then you just squeeze all of the excitement out of me

• alex writes:
    September 17th, 2015 at 2:03 am

I also couldn’t believe that Susanne Collins would approve of using hunger games actors Jennifer law and josh hutcherson to play as luxa or Gregor seems like a bad combination to me

• Rosa writes:
    November 22nd, 2015 at 8:44 am

I hate you so much right now. You got me crying because I was so happy to finally have someone making a film version of it. I’m waiting for this since 10 years now

• ianna writes:
    December 1st, 2015 at 9:21 pm

I would love if they made the underland books into a movie. I read the whole series in less than two weeks ( I’m a bookworm I know). But you got my hopes up extremely high and know there in the negative area . maybe in -5% there would be a movie. but I really really , really , really , really , really final really want this to be a movie.

• Coral writes:
    January 13th, 2016 at 6:11 pm

Wow I thought this was real! Now I’m sadbuuuuuuut, I’m thinking of getting a pet ion signed or requesting this series to be put into movies! Just a thought though… I have also made my own fan fiction of a new book for the sieries: GREGOR AND THE SONG OF LIGHT.
    it is where my character Silvie NightGlider revives ares, Thalia, and hamnet! Others too!

• malachi writes:
      February 2nd, 2016 at 1:09 pm

i agree.

• Lizzie writes:
    January 26th, 2016 at 5:18 pm

OMG I LOVE GREGOR THE OVERLANDER BEST SERIES EVER. But Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcherson CANT play Gregor and Luxa because Gregor and Luxa are 11 in the first book! Also why would Liam Hemsworth play boots! I find it highly unlikely that all those people from the hunger games would be in Gregor the overlander!

• Lizzie writes:
    January 26th, 2016 at 5:22 pm

Oh……… I just read the comments…….. HOW DARE YOU TRICK US

• Nancy from Kidsmomo writes:
      January 26th, 2016 at 5:33 pm

@Lizzie, sorry for any anguish caused! We’re also holding out hope for a REAL movie eventually. 🙂

• malachi writes:
    February 2nd, 2016 at 1:07 pm

I would really like a movie because movies are better than books.

• malachi writes:
    February 2nd, 2016 at 1:16 pm

I would think that Jennifer Lawrence and Josh Hutcerson would be great actors for Gregor and Luxa I’m on the 5th book I hope Luxa and Gregor kiss so much there will be so much commotion in Regalia. :}

• Anonymous writes:
    February 7th, 2016 at 9:37 pm

There’s no way can be Gregor. Gregor is an 11 year old boy . He could be Merith

• Ellie writes:
    February 24th, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Omg, you scared me SO much. Ever since I read ‘Gregor the Overlander’ (the first book) I wanted to be Luxa. I would risk EVERYTHING to be Luxa. Also, having the HG cast would be a bad idea because 1. HOW CAN LIAM HEMSWORTH, A GUY WHO’S IN HIS 20S, BE BOOTS, A LITTLE GIRL WHO IS TWO YEARS OLD?!?!?!? And 2. Everyone would be bored of the HG cast because they already saw them in three of the movies by Suzanne Collins (all three of the HG series) and 3. Jen And Josh WOULD be cute as Gregor and Luxa, but honestly, they’re in their 20s and Gregor and Luxa are 11 year old kids. That makes NO sense WHATSOEVER.

• Hannah writes:
      January 19th, 2018 at 4:58 pm

OMG, I also want to be Luxa and just love her so much!! I 100% agree with the idea that they could never be the cast for the movies, but really hope that there will be one!! I have even created my own cast list with Hugh Jackman as Ripred, and even Ty Simpkins as Henry!! To everyone out there, Fly you High!!

• Ellie writes:
    February 24th, 2016 at 6:45 pm

Also, I think Liam would be better off playing Howard or Hamnet than Boots. Actually, Liam would be better off playing playing anyone who’s not boots. But Howard Or Hamnet seem like the best choices for him.

• Mully writes:
    March 19th, 2016 at 1:49 pm

I came here, with a bit of excitement. And then it was a joke, oh well! Hey, I already swore to myself, if into animation and such I go. Damn well I’ll be making a film on it!

• Amy writes:
    March 22nd, 2016 at 11:11 am

MEAN! I was so excited and I got I got ridiculously excited when you mentioned Joshifer. By the time I got to the bit about Liam Hemsworth’s sister, my hopes were effectively crushed. I’m glad I didn’t read it to my 10-year old son. MEANIE!! 🙂

• Reece writes:
    April 20th, 2016 at 7:37 am

Lucky it was a trick. I’m going to try out for the role of Gregor I perfectly match the characters appearance and personality!!!

• Analeigh writes:
    June 21st, 2016 at 8:46 am

I read the books and kept hoping that a movie would come out. I hope they still make movies for them, Collins books are so grapling! I finished the Under land Chronicles in a week and 1/2

• KAME writes:
    July 4th, 2016 at 7:43 pm

This is actually hurtful guys, not cool. I have so many problems with this. Hollywood will make a million dollar per scene move (teenage mutant ninja turtles) which they do in the dark but won’t do the Underland Chronicles? WTF? The Underland Chronicles is 100x better, in my opinion any way. And there are 11 year-olds in this movie, what were they thinking? 11 and 20 are definitely the same age now I guess

• KAME writes:
    July 4th, 2016 at 7:46 pm

If there are going to be actual movies let me know, I’m literally luxa! I match the personality description exactly and the look alike of her!

• luke writes:
    July 7th, 2016 at 1:05 am

Make a movie please I’ve read the series twice

• gavin writes:
    July 16th, 2016 at 7:46 am

aww i really want there to be a movie 🙁 >_<

• Hannah writes:
    July 21st, 2016 at 6:44 pm

Your a very mean and unfeeling to get peoples hopes up so high.But I thought something fishy when they had a 30 year old guy playing a 2 year old girl. I should have stopped reading than and there, but was just to stupid. Can’t wait for the movie!

Your truly’
    a huge fan of The Gregor and the overlander series.

P.S April fools jokes are supposed to be funny, not blatantly disappointing and dream crushing.

• Oskar writes:
      September 21st, 2016 at 3:35 pm

You are a hundred procent right Hannah

• Betty writes:
      December 31st, 2016 at 3:22 pm

You take yourself too seriously dude. With where they were going with the cast, Im relieved that it was a joke