Movie News: Underland Chronicles

April 1st, 2014 by

Gregor the OverlanderWith all the hype around the Hunger Games movies, it was surely just a matter of time before Hollywood would make a film of Suzanne Collins’ other book series, The Underland Chronicles (aka the Gregor books).

Well, the big announcement has finally come: no word on the release date yet, but an adaptation of the first book in the series, Gregor the Overlander, will definitely be hitting theaters at some point in the future!

But they’d better hurry up and shoot the movie fast because Josh Hutcherson and Jennifer Lawrence have been cast as the leads, Gregor and Luxa!

It certainly seems like a strange choice because the characters are 11 years old, whereas the actors are both in their 20s. But the movie studio that’s doing the adaptation addressed their casting decision in this way:

“Whenever you cast iconic book characters, there will be some backlash from the fans. It seemed a natural fit to ask Josh and Jennifer to take on the roles of Gregor and Luxa because they’re already a known quantity to Suzanne Collins’ readers. Not only that, they’re two of Hollywood’s brightest young stars who have already proven their acting chops and their appeal in the Hunger Games movies.”

Makes sense, we suppose… And we can only imagine that same logic applied to the rest of the casting, plus a few surprises:

• Woody Harrelson as Ripred
  • Elizabeth Banks as Solovet
  • Donald Sutherland as Vikus
  • Willow Shields as Lizzie
  • Sam Claflin as Henry
  • Liam Hemsworth as Boots

It is quite puzzling that Liam Hemsworth was cast as Gregor’s 2-year-old sister, Boots… but we’re so excited about the film we’re willing to just go with it.

In addition, how the Underland’s fantastical creatures will be represented will be a fresh new take, a source close to the Art Director stated:

“Well, elaborate state-of-the-art computer generated creatures has already been done in movies like The Hobbit, and while hand puppets were considered, I know for a fact that they started rehearsals on interpretive dance. So, none of the fliers will actually fly, but you’ll really see them fly through the magic of imagination!”

What about you? Do you agree with the casting? Leave a comment and let us know who you would cast if you had the choice. Also, leave a comment and tell us whether you believed a single word that we said because guess what —

April Fools!

(In other words, this is all fake! Did we getcha?)

😀

— Karen and Nancy

P.S. — We do really want to see movies of this series some day. So if you’re like us, well, sorry if we got your hopes up!

61 Responses

• Hannah writes:
    July 21st, 2016 at 6:52 pm

Really, Two different post sight things?
    I Can’t believe you. Your just a mean dream crusher who is mad with media power. NOT COOL!!!!

• Huge Fan writes:
      December 4th, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Exactly I saw this and I was literally so happy this book is like my favorite besides the hunger games. You people ar horrible my hopes were so high. But now I know to never trust this site again

• UNDERLANDER writes:
      June 16th, 2017 at 9:33 pm

1. isn’t Liam Hemsworth a boy why would he be acting a GIRL! thats like 5!! I was so exicted reading it and then I saw it I was so sad:(

• Kett writes:
    August 9th, 2016 at 12:51 pm

You guys are mean I know this is two years four months and eight days after the fact (and it won’t let me spell a-f-t-e-r) but I would like to direct the movie I have read the series 7 times he second time in 2 days no less and I am righting a fanfic of my own but I would like to say you guys are very very mean

• Oskar writes:
    September 21st, 2016 at 3:33 pm

That is a worst joke ever got my hopes so high and now… Hahaha (boring voice) hurrah(boring voice again) Guess what?……APRILS FOOLS hahahahahaha great joke 😉

• Ethan writes:
    October 9th, 2016 at 10:22 am

Booo

• Ethan writes:
    October 9th, 2016 at 10:26 am

I find the fact that they didn’t write a sixth book weird and wish they had

• Joanna writes:
      April 20th, 2017 at 7:46 pm

Yeah, I know right! I really, really, really want a sixth book! The ending was just so sad with so many strings left untied, that I feel like my heart is breaking. Gregor went through so much, he grew up so much, and he’s still got so much left to do and solve that I feel like the last book is just dying for a sequel or a new, but connected, series. As a reader, I just want to shout, “Suzanne Collins can’t leave us on a cliffhanger like this!”

Anyone else feel the same?

• Huge Fan writes:
    December 4th, 2016 at 5:00 pm

I was so excited for it to be turned into a movie but I agree that Jen and josh would not be good as Gregor and luxa. Also Liam as boots would suck. I think he should be made as henry.

• LOLOLOL writes:
    December 8th, 2016 at 7:02 pm

Cheese is good #Hater Alert

• Someone writes:
    December 12th, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Whoever said the starting post is actually making it up, there is no way they couldn’t get a bunch of 11 year old actors, and they are saying it will be Jennifer Lawrence just because she was the main character in another Suzanne Collins film.

• William writes:
    January 16th, 2017 at 3:55 pm

I totally agree that you are very aggravating. I was really hoping, really hoping for the the underland Chronicles movies. But it was flipping ridiculous reading all those comments.

• Anonymous writes:
    April 23rd, 2017 at 6:23 pm

I am ready to punch you because when I finished I actually cried and the only thing that kind of held me together is thinking that there would be a movie!!

• Daniel writes:
    May 5th, 2017 at 2:03 pm

That honestly upsets me that Liam Hemsworth plays a 2 year old female! To be honest again, I think that they should cast someone not exactly Boot’s age, but around there so it makes the books come alive a little. No offense but get rid of Liam. If the producers are reading this, GET. RID. OF. LIAM. HEMSWORTH. PLEASE.

• Daniel writes:
    May 5th, 2017 at 2:05 pm

Plus, I’ve already read all the books so Liam Hemsworth being in there as Boots just ruins my aspect of the book replacing a 2 year old, curly haired girl, to a 27 year old, Straight, dark haired male.

• Gibberish writes:
    June 1st, 2017 at 8:02 pm

This is so funny. It’s also extremely horrible of you, but hey, I’d do the same thing lmao

• Anonim writes:
    July 13th, 2017 at 3:20 pm

My love the underland chronicles series.It would be great if the movie

• Anonymous writes:
    July 15th, 2017 at 10:58 pm

Nope

• Luxa writes:
    July 26th, 2017 at 12:51 pm

When I read this, my heart stopped. I was thinking, “NOOO! Jennifer and Josh are way to old to be cast in this series, which happens to be one of my favorites. Then when I read that Liam would play the part of Boots, I really started to doubt if this article was genuine. (I mean really? CHRIS Hemsworth is a better choice! XD) Anyway, I’m very glad this was all a hoax.
    -Luxa the Underlander

• Henry writes:
      July 27th, 2017 at 4:13 pm

Is your name really Luxa? That’s so cool! Mine’s Henry, but I’m not a traitor working with the rats. 😀