July 27th, 2010 by Kidsmomo
Telling ghost stories around a bonfire, bonding over the awful food in the mess hall, sharing a bunk with your new best friend… Sleep-away camp can be the most wonderful experience of your childhood — OR NOT! At least, not for all the characters in these summer camp books.
BUT just because camp isn’t perfect, that doesn’t mean these guys can’t make the best of it! See how their away-from-home adventures unfold in these summer camp books (in no particular order):
- Fat Camp Commandos by Daniel Pinkwater (Karen’s pick)
- The Summer Camp Mystery (Boxcar Children series) by Gertrude Chandler Warner (Nancy’s pick)
- Summer Camp Secrets series by Katy Grant
- Summer Ball by Mike Lupica
- Camp Confidential series by Melissa J. Morgan
- Amelia’s Itchy-Twitchy, Lovey-Dovey Summer at Camp Mosquito by Marissa Moss
- Help! I’m Trapped in the First Day of Summer Camp by Todd Strasser
- Dilly’s Summer Camp Diary by Cynthia Copeland Lewis
- Lunch Lady and the Summer Camp Shakedown by Jarrett J. Krosoczka
- How I Survived My Summer Vacation by Bruce Coville
- Letters from Camp by Kate Klise
If you’ve read any of these, send in your book review. Or send in a review of your favorite summer camp book.
UPDATE 8/17/10: We revealed the answer to our Summer Camp Mystery Book Theater in the “Bug Juice” Podcast, so take a listen if you want to know the answer. Or just tune in if you want to hear Nancy and Karen giggle over a stupid mispronunciation. We’re immature.