January 25th, 2011 by Kidsmomo
A budding musician’s first piano recital. A local competition for expert violinists. A kid’s introduction to jazz during the Harlem Renaissance. And the inside scoop behind the lives of The Beatles. Like a medley of different songs, this booklist covers a variety of tunes — from classical composers to contemporary RAWK. Pump up the volume with these books about music (in no particular order):
- Lemonade Mouth by Mark Peter Hughes (Karen’s pick)
- A Crooked Kind of Perfect by Linda Urban
- Dave at Night by Gail Carson Levine
- The Mozart Season by Virginia Euwer Wolff
- Fame School series by Mariah Fredericks
- Fiddle Fever by Sharon Arms Doucet
- Mountain Solo by Jeanette Ingold
- The Facts and Fictions of Minna Pratt by Patricia MacLachlan
- Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!: The Beatles, Beatlemania, and the Music that Changed the World by Bob Spitz (Nancy’s pick)
- All Shook Up: The Life and Death of Elvis Presley by Barry Denenberg
- The Rock ‘n’ Roll Camp for Girls: How to Start a Band, Write Songs, Record an Album, and Rock Out!!
- Lives of the Musicians: Good Times, Bad Times (and What the Neighbors Thought), written by Kathleen Krull, illustrated by Kathryn Hewitt
(Also, here’s a printable version of our Music booklist, for you to take to the library or bookstore — or keep by the computer while you surf iTunes!)
If you’ve read any of these, send in your book review. Or send in a review of your favorite book about music.
UPDATE 2/8/11: We revealed the answer to our Music Mystery Book Theater in the “Face the Music” Podcast, so take a listen if you want to know the answer. Or just tune in if you want to hear Karen and Nancy make fun of one of their friends — always a delight!