March 29th, 2016 by Nancy
Most people don’t enjoy going to the dentist, but it has to be done. Having your teeth checked by a professional is very important for your health, and your dentist just wants the best for you.
But what if there was real reason to be genuinely afraid of your dentist?
As you might have guessed from the title — in Demon Dentist by David Walliams, the new dentist in Alfie’s town is seriously creepy. Miss Root insists that children call her “Mummy,” and the toothpaste she passes out is deadly toxic. This is bad news for Alfie, who loves sweets and hasn’t gone to the dentist in years.
Even though Miss Root might send shivers down your spine, this book is actually hilarious. There are lots of laugh-out-loud moments, like when…
- Alfie finds himself the target of a
highmedium speed chase from a moped.
- Alfie concocts outlandish excuses for missing his dentist appointment — we’ve all been there, right?
- The author uses made-up words that make perfect sense.
- Someone eats too many coffee-flavored sweets, leading to some intense tummy rumbling and an uncomfortable dash to the toilet.
- And much, much more!
One of my favorite parts of the book are the illustrations by Tony Ross. The ludicrous humor of the story combined with the drawings will remind readers of the legendary pairing of Roald Dahl and Quentin Blake, which is not a bad comparison to have!
Demon Dentist has been available for a while in other countries, but now it’s finally available in the United States! If you’ve read it, leave a comment below — and if not, enter the sweepstakes for a chance to win a SIGNED copy and more!
Enter before May 1st! See official rules.
Prize Pack Includes:
- Hardcover Demon Dentist signed by author David Walliams
- Chattering teeth toy
- 2 pencils, 2 teeth-shaped pencil sharpeners, 2 bookmarks, and 2 teeth-shaped erasers
This sweepstakes has ended.
Nancy actually does enjoy visiting the dentist, but as established a long time ago: she’s a super weird.