March 12th, 2017 by Nancy
Ever since I reviewed Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George years ago on the Kidsmomo podcast, I knew the Castle Glower series was destined for greatness! It’s been years since Tuesdays at the Castle was released and since then we’ve gotten the books for Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and most recently, Saturdays at the Sea!
But wait — something’s different about Saturdays at the Sea: the book cover style! And it turns out the original books are also getting new covers:
|Original Covers||New Covers|
Some thoughts on the new covers:
- The new illustration style looks more modern and what art historians call a “painterly” style.
- The series heroine, Princess Celia, is less visible in many of the covers — sometimes we just see the back of her head.
- I think there is a bigger sense of danger and adventure.
- The days of the week are now designed with embellishments and much bigger.
- The griffin appears on different days now.
- There is more color variation: With the original covers, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday always looked similar to me because they had a lot of green and blue hues.
- Jessica Day George’s name is much easier to read now in the white text.
All in all, I love the new covers! My only complaint is that Saturdays at the Sea only has a new version — I would love to have seen what the original illustrator would have done!
Do you prefer the original covers or the new covers? Take the poll below and discuss with other readers in the comments!
If this series were to star Nancy, then the series would end with the titles Sundays with Napping and Mondays with Coffee.